Craig Capilla is a trial lawyer, defending individuals and businesses in a wide range of civil matters, including professional liability and commercial litigation. He has effectively defended numerous residential and commercial appraisers and appraisal firms accused of negligence or improper activity in their valuation services, a chiropractic group accused of malpractice, and successfully litigated employment disputes related to discrimination claims, restrictive covenants, and unemployment hearings. Craig has also represented numerous licensed professionals in state licensing matters, including real estate brokers, real estate appraisers, appraisal management companies, mortgage brokers, nursing home administrators, and medical doctors.
Craig M. Capilla
Craig developed his skills as a trial lawyer while working as a staff prosecutor for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, where he learned and effectively applied the rules of evidence where he tried more than 60 cases while also bringing a high volume of cases to settlement prior to trial. Additionally, Craig has drafted contracts, business agreements, and advised on corporate governance and formation for various small and medium-sized businesses while also consulting for both companies and individuals on regulatory and compliance matters.
Craig has advocated for his clients in various state and federal civil litigation matters and administrative hearings before regulatory agencies including: Qui tam defense, civil RICO matters, professional malpractice, construction defect litigation, breach of contract, breach of warranty, mechanics’ liens, general tort liability, homeowners’ association and landlord/tenant disputes, and professional licensing. He has appeared for clients in a number of jurisdictions throughout Illinois, including various courts in Cook, DuPage, Lake, Carroll, Lee, and Kane counties and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Publications & Presentationsharry_pub_pres
- “New York Appraisal Management Company Act Now In Effect” – Appraisal Buzz – August 2, 2019
- “The Calm Before the Storm?” – ICAP summer Seminars 2019
- “Hybrids: An Appraisal by any Other Name” – Appraisal Buzz – April 3, 2019
- The Appraisal Report – Workfiles & USPAP Compliance (video) – January 24, 2019
- “What’s an Appraiser to Do – Lisle 2018” – ICAP Summer Seminars 2018
- “A Very Credible Napkin” – WorkingRE Magazine – Fall 2018
- The Appraisal Report – TriStar Bank Synopsis and Tindell v. Murphy (video) – May 24, 2018
- “Condo Deconversions: Proceed With Caution” – June 24, 2018
- “Zillow ‘Zestimate’ Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed with Prejudice by Federal Judge” – May 8, 2018
- “We Should Talk – Accurity Valuation Conference March 2018” – Accurity Valuation National Conference – March 2018
- “What a Regulator Wants” – Appraiser Focus Magazine, Q1 2018 (pgs. 12-13)
- “Unlawful Practice of Appraisal – ISBA SALT Seminar Jan. 2018” – ISBA State and Local Tax Seminar, January 2018
- “Navigating Hybrid Appraisals” – WorkingRE Magazine – Winter 2018
- The Appraisal Report – No Appraisal Mortgages!? (video) – December 21, 2017
- “You Can’t Do That – CCAI October 2017” – Chicago Chapter Appraisal Institute
- “Litigation Appraisals- Appraisal Summit 2017” – National Association of Appraisers, Appraisal Summit, September 2017
- “Appraisal, Ethics, Law – Springfield 2017” – ICAP Summer Seminars 2017
- “Lessons From Llano – Lisle” – ICAP Summer Seminars 2016
- “Appraiser Liability – The Highs and Lows of Valuation” – Appraisal Institute, NorthStar Chapter – 18th Annual Real Estate Trends Seminar – May 18, 2016
- “Administrative Law – Ethical Considerations in Law’s Most Mysterious Jurisdiction” – North Suburban Bar Association Annual Ethics Seminar – April 19, 2016
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- National Association of Appraisers
- Illinois Coalition of Appraisal Professionals
- Illinois Association of Certified Real Estate Appraisers
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society
- Chicago Association of Realtors
- Illinois Association of Realtors
- National Association of Realtors
Awards & Recognition
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an appraisal firm defendant for its work in a construction loan matter. The appraisal firm was found by the trial court judge to have no duty to the borrower of the construction loan while performing site inspections on behalf of the lender.
- Successfully represented a licensed real estate appraiser in having his license suspension and fine overturned on appeal. Mr. Capilla’s client was not only returned to active license status, but the trial court judge determined that the state regulator did not have jurisdiction to discipline other licensees for similar conduct due to a lack of jurisdiction.
- Obtained six figure settlement on behalf of homeowners for Breach of Contract and Breach of Warranty claims due to faulty construction on custom home build.